The Cathar country in the AudeAll you can do, everything you can see.
Saissac, down of the Black Mountain
Saissac, charming village of 1000 inhabitants, with its magnificent castle Cathar, situated on the flanks of the Black Mountain , the exceptional view over the Pyrenees and the plain Aude, welcomes you for a pleasant holiday stay in family.
Located at 20 km from Carcassonne and Castelnaudary, this is the perfect place if you are looking for rest, conviviality, relaxation or outdoor activities.
The peaceful and well-being atmosphere of our region should meet all your aspirations.
Let yourself be seduced by the Cathar Country !
One of the largest in the region. Its construction dates from the tenth century and reconstruction of the late thirteenth, early fourteenth including: the dungeon, quadrangular towers and curtains.
La Porte d’Autan of the Black Mountain
La Porte d’Autan is unique. Dating from the XIII century, it’s decorated with three coats of arms :
• Family Thurey 1234
• Community Saissac 1303
• Family the Isle Jourdain 1340
The Pyrenees and the plain of Lauragais.
Neighboring sometimes unsuspected, the Pyrenees you will be surprised to appear in front of you.
A Part of Dream
Some days you’ll find yourself dreaming that the sun shines for you. The altitude of Saissac, instead often well above a sea of clouds that bathes the valley. The dream becomes reality …
St Ferréol lake is an artificial lake located in the heart of the Black Montains. It is powered by The Rigole (The Channel) which collects the waters from the Laudot and the Sor by the tunnel “Breakthrough Cammazes” which extends over 120m.
It is the Cammazes, the “Rigole de la Montagne” (Channel) rushes under a canopy of 120m long and 3m high, designed and built by Vauban in 1686. It remains today one of the most remarkable works of the “Canal du Midi”.
When you stay at the campsite LA PORTE enjoy a day at the beach with all the benefits of the tranquility of a campsite on the Black Mountain.
The Wines Audois
Come to taste the wines audois !
Malepère, Cabardès, Fitou, Corbière, Minervois, Blanquette de Limoux …
For you, we have selected the best wine at the best price!
In Saissac or nearby
• Cathar castle
• Basin of Lampy
• Alzeau water, Vauban’s Vault, the Mountain Rigole (The Channel)
• The Cammazes dam or lake Gravette
• Village of Books, Montolieu
• Paper Mill, Brousses et Villaret
A little further …
• St Férréol lake (sports and nautical activities)
• The copper village : Durfort
• Lastours Cathar castles
• Medieval city of Carcassonne
• The Australian Park, Carcassonne
• The Canal du Midi • Windmill at Villeneuve-Minervois
• Medieval village of Hautpoul • Villelongue and St Papoul Abbeys
• Limousis cave
• The Giant Chasm of Cabrespine
• The Guinot Home (Blanquette de Limoux)
• The lamas of the Montagne Noire, Castans
• The Markets of Revel, Carcassonne and Bram
• Vineyards: Cabardès, Malepère, Minervois
Even more further, but not too much ……
• African Safari Park, Sigean
• The Dinosaur Museum, Esperaza
• The Hat Museum , Esperaza
• The Oulibo cooperative, Bize Minervois
• Terra Vinéa, Portel des Corbières
• Castle of Chalabre
• Cathar castles : Arques, Quéribus, Termes, Fitou,
Aguilar Villerouge-Termenès, Usson …
• Alet, Lagrasse, Fontfroide abbeys…
• “Cité de l’Espace” (the air and space city) Toulouse
• Mediterranean beaches : Leucate, Narbonne, Gruissan, Port-la-Nouvelle
• Vineyards: Corbières, Fitou …